Dec 26, 2006

Christmas: A Time for Lurning

So I got what I wanted for Christmas. I got a sorely needed occupational education. For anyone seeking information on starting a creative enterprise of any sort I would recommend this book: The Business Side of Creativity. It covers any question you might have. Any question at all. This book answered all the questions I didn't even know enough to ask. It covers everything from how to find an accountant (who knew you needed an actual accountant) to billing questions to potential employee issues (should the event arise).

On top of that I got a boatload of Phaidon books, which I'm keen on perusing. I'm excited to peruse the Paperwork volumes as well as the thick tome that is The Art of Looking Sideways.

As far as truly educational books go I also got The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst and Talent Is Not Enough by Shel Perkins. Now I suppose I should really look for a textbook style guide to designing for print (i.e. standard practices, tips for using Pantone color matching system, etc.). Any recommendations?

No comments: