Jan 2, 2007

I got so POSTED on New Year's Eve

Today I dipped my toes in the sweet, sweet waters of freedom. I took today off from my day job so that I could stay home and catch up on some freelance work and make a few calls and arrangements.

Surprisingly, I found myself not sure really what to do with my time. I'm an extremely fast and hard worker when I know what to do, but I realized...I didn't know what to do. I made a to do list, but found myself still floundering about for a bit. Truth is, I couldn't really figure out my priorities. I did a bunch of miscellaneous quick tasks--emails, etc.--but by one o'clock I realized that I hadn't gotten anything substantial done.

I decided that I'm going to need to really concentrate on prioritizing my time. I came up with some loose rules:

1) half of my hours will be devoted to billable clients, the other half to the studio itself (i.e. blog posts, making calls, working on the soon to launch website, etc.)

2) I will not prioritize tasks by what I WANT to do most, but by what NEEDS DOING most. That's tough.

3) I will not touch my guitar until after 6:00. Ever.

No comments: