Jan 3, 2007

Okay...Here's Something

So, right now, I'm sooooo predictable. My work is about as corporate and bland as it can be. I think I've come to the point where I need a major shake down.

You know what did it? It was a really simple thing. It was the Lifelong Friendship Society's webpage. the background image takes FOREVER to load. You know why I don't care? Because It's awesome. That background image is worth every second. They ignored a major caveat of web design: Don't keep your public waiting. But, like I said, who gives a shit how long I waited? That background image leaves that rule in the dust and pisses on its mother's grave.

How can I implement that kind of rule breaking into my current work? I don't know yet. But I feel a post on how to break rules coming on.

Article 1 in my manifesto states:
Design should be surprising; sucker punch, hand-buzzer, frogs from the sky, finger-in-the-gun-barrel surprising.


I think more rule breaking might be a key element in creating surprising design. It seems so obvious now that I said it out loud.

No comments: