Dec 6, 2006

Poster-Eyes

In this segment children, we'll explore the lost (well, not so much lost as "expanding at a frightening rate and in enormous demand") art of Poster making. Specifically, the art of rock show posters. Perhaps we'll even occasionally dip into the world billboard and street posters. I'll be posting my favorites from other designers as well as a few of my feeble attempts for my band, The XYZ Affair (plug plug plug).

Below you will find a poster I just completed for The XYZ Affair's upcoming show at Union Hall in Brooklyn New York.


I like this poster. It's better than the last poster I made for two reasons: A) the drawing of the 1920s beach goers with the highways wrapping around their (aparrently enormous) bodies is just cool. B) It's colors buzz a lot more on this sucker thus attracting the unsuspecting eye. It's also got a better composition. Though, in retrospect, I'm not happy about where I put the venue and date info. It's offsetting (in a dismantling way) to the main sweep of text into the image that makes up the central portion. It was a bargain to try to lead the eye there since that was the second most important point. I really need to start making wire frames before setting out on a project.

2 comments:

Leland said...

started a blog? nice move. you should post a lot of your stuff.

Russ said...

You found me fast. Yeah, I'm working on it. I also thought it would be a good way to mull over thoughts about the design goods/bads especially with my own work