Dec 4, 2006

Putting My Hands in All the Right Places

This is a blog about design. I don't want to promise that this blog will be interesting, and I don't want to promise that this blog will be revelatory (at least to anyone but myself), and I certainly don't want to promise that this blog will change the way people approach design and media. But I can promise that I'm going to have a helluva good time with it, and hopefully, some of those things will happen along the way.

The goal, I suppose, is twofold: first, to talk about the work I'm doing with The Visual Field, my freelance studio. To record my thought process with ongoing projects, clients, workload/lack thereof . It's a wild world and hopefully soon I'll be able to do it it full time. The second goal is to slowly but surely, by collecting individual thoughts and ideas, be able to codify what I think good design is, what I think good design should be, and where I think design should move to remain a positive, effective, fun, edifying, truthful, inventive, and conscientious asset to our mediated world.

Media and Image have long been the riverbeds of society, forcing the cultural stream to to wind and brake and merge. I suppose it's only appropriate that The Visual Field should focus on making design that allows for diversity, but isn't divisive. Of course, theory is always easier invented that applied.

In all honesty, I've always loved intelligence. I love intelligent design (not the philosophy, but the practice of), and working with images and words to create new meaning. It's one of the things that drove me to art school, where I wasn't learning a trade or a set of facts so much, as learning how think in new ways. The very root of intelligence if you ask me ...but why would you? Who the hell am I?

No comments: